Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Flow Gives Me Gas

It is again that time of year for those of us who like to torture ourselves or, as I prefer to think of it, really like a challenge, to start thinking about New Year's resolutions. I also like to think of myself as a goal-oriented person so have been abiding by this tradition for as long as I can remember. This year, unlike many other years, I'm committed to keeping it simple - two or three resolutions at which I can actually succeed. As one of those nervous nellies who stresses about every little thing in life, not accomplishing what I've set out to do only exacerbates the anxiety level, so choosing my resolutions wisely is important.

And actually at the top of the list is learning to better manage my stress level - go figure. Now, when I talk about stress management, please understand that I have already tried all the usual suspects... yoga, meditation, guided imagery, bubble baths, and deep breathing only stress me out more. One of my very sweet co-workers is always checking in with me about my stress level, suggesting soothing, relaxing things I can do including all the above-mentioned but my all-time favorite idea was when she, a 6'2" tall, thin, all arms and legs kind of woman explained to me that when her stress level reaches unmanageable proportions, she stands on one leg (you have to imagine her demonstrating this), slightly bent, spreads her arms like they are wings, starts flapping them, and repeats to herself "I'm an eagle, I'm an eagle." Yes, I'm pretty sure that will go over well in a meeting with several high-powered executives demanding a full-fledged communications plan by the end of the day.

Another well-intentioned friend gave me a book called "The Art of Doing Nothing" a few years back. She is also the person who tried to teach me about flow, and one day after a long ride through the country with her and her partner, meandering aimlessly in her nephew's convertible Mustang with the top down on a gorgeous summer day, she turned to me and asked what I thought about flow now. I responded, and have used this quote many times since, that flow gives me gas.

Which is about the time when she presented me with the book. I tried, I really tried to read the book, absorb its message, live a more relaxed life. But seriously, the very nature of the title implies some sort of action. The verb "doing" is an active verb, so doing nothing is actually doing something, even if it is sitting (another verb) in a lawn chair staring (verb) off into space. "Practicing" meditation or yoga is again an active verb. "Relaxing" at the beach - again the verb says you are doing something. "Clearing" your mind and "imagining" yourself in another place - active. "Repeating" the mantra "I'm an eagle" is still active.

So, this year, I hope to find some ways to reduce or manage my stress that actually work for me. For now, I'll concentrate on wrapping presents, baking cookies, watching it snow, and driving over the river and through the woods to open gifts with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment